We love this recipe when camping. Huevos Rancheros is a simple one pot meal and if you are staying on a farm make sure you get hold of some freshly laid eggs with beautiful yellow yolks.
This version is based on a recipe by Hemsley and Hemsley.
We hope you enjoy, let us know in the comments what your favourite camping recipes are and we may feature them on our blog.
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely diced
- 1 tbs oil
- 2 red peppers, halved lengthways then sliced into strips
- 2 cans tomatoes or 10 medium tomatoes approx. 800g
- 200ml water
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 4 eggs
- a little cayenne or fresh red chilli to your taste, depends on the strength of your chilli
- 1 small handful of strong cheddar cheese
- 1 large handful of fresh coriander
- Fry the onion, garlic, spices and bay leaves for 5 minutes until softened but not browned
- Add the red peppers and fry for a further 5 minutes
- Add in the tomatoes, stir, season with salt and pepper and bring to a medium simmer for about 10 mins until you have a thick sauce
- Use a spoon to make 4 holes in the tomato sauce and crack an egg into each one. The eggs will poach in the sauce and cook in 4 about minutes for a runny yolk.
- Season each yolk with sea salt and black pepper, spoon over guacamole (optional) and sprinkle with grated cheese